Following on from last night’s post regarding Heart Health Week, lets look at some tips for improving your heart health through nutrition!
- Include omega 3 fats in your diet for good heart health
- Ensure you have an optimal intake of folate/folic acid
- Increase your intake of soluble fibre to help reduce cholesterol levels
- Eat foods with plenty of antioxidants- think bright coloured foods! (And note I said antioxidants from foods- current research has shown that antioxidants from supplements are not as beneficial from foods. So taking a supplement with antioxidants may provide no benefit. So just to be safe I recommend my patients get their antioxidants mainly from foods).
- Add plant sterols to your diet to help keep cholesterol levels normal
- Reduce your intake of saturated and trans fats
If some of you are wondering where to start to begin improving your heart health with the above tips we recommend visiting an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD). An APD can help you get these nutrients in the amounts that are best for you. Since we are all different and have different health goals then its best these tips are personalised for you- so you can be at your best. Contact us to make an appointment with our dietitians to optimise your health today.