Fruits and Vegetables in Season in July
Buying fruits and vegetables in season is a great way to shop as they are usually the cheaper and more readily available.
The Australian Guide to Healthy Eating recommends we all eat at least 5 serves of vegetables every day. Now you may be thinking what is a serve? A serve of vegetables is: ½ cup of cooked colourful vegetables (not potatoes as they are in a different food group) or one cup of raw/salad vegetables.
Next time you are at the shops, try a fruit and vegetable in season you wouldn’t normally buy- not only are you including more in your diet but you are also expanding your variety of nutrients. So why not try something new (see below for tips)- you can use this page for information on fruits and vegetables in season each month.
Fruits in season in July
Vegetables in season in July
- Brussels Sprout
Try something new
- Try banana mashed through porridge or on cereal
- Orange – toss through a salad to make things interesting
- Grill a halved grapefruit, drizzled with little honey for 5-6 minutes.
- Roasted carrots are delicious and a great side dish for winter!
- Add steamed cauliflower to mashed potato.
- Mushrooms go beautifully with poached eggs on multigrain toast for a hot breakfast treat.
For more information and recipe ideas on fruits and vegetables visit the ‘Go for 2&5′ website http://www.gofor2and5.com.au/